Iran-Israel conflict: Ceasefire announced, tensions linger

Iran-Israel conflict: Ceasefire announced, tensions linger

WEBDESK: A senior Iranian official has confirmed that Iran has agreed to a ceasefire proposal put forward by the United States and mediated by Qatar, according to a report by Reuters.

The official, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said Iran has accepted the American plan for a truce with Israel, with Qatar playing a key role in facilitating the agreement.

According to the report, US President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence consulted with the Emir of Qatar before reaching the agreement.

Trump informed the Qatari Emir that Israel had also agreed to the ceasefire. Following this, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman contacted Iranian officials and secured Iran’s consent to the US proposal.

Earlier, President Trump announced on social media that both Israel and Iran had agreed to a ceasefire and would formally declare an end to the hostilities.

In his message, Trump congratulated all sides and said the ceasefire would be “complete and comprehensive.”

He added that both countries would conclude their final military actions within the next six hours.

The ceasefire will initially last for 12 hours, after which the conflict will be considered over.

The agreement comes shortly after Iran launched missile attacks on a US military base in Qatar in response to earlier American strikes.

Iran’s state television confirmed that the al-Udeid Air Base had been targeted by Iranian missiles.

Just before the attack, Qatar announced it had closed its airspace. Three days earlier, reports emerged that the US had withdrawn 40 warplanes from the same base.

Iran says ‘no agreement’ on ceasefire as Tehran comes under Israeli attack

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has said that no ceasefire agreement with Israel currently exists.

Posting on X, Araghchi stated that it was Israel that started the war against Iran, not the other way round. He went on to say that if Israel ends what he described as its “illegal aggression” by 4am Tehran time, Iran will have no reason to continue its response.

However, he added that a final decision on whether to stop military operations would be made at a later time.

In a follow-up post, Araghchi confirmed that Iranian strikes against Israel carried on “until the very last minute, at 4am.”

He thanked Iran’s armed forces for standing firm, saying they responded to every attack “until the very last minute” and remain ready to defend the country “until their last drop of blood.”

Ceasefire begins following four waves of Iranian attacks on Israel: Press TV
Trump announces ‘ceasefire is now in effect’, urges calm

US President Donald Trump has said that “the ceasefire is now in effect,” in a message posted on Truth Social.

He urged all sides, “Please do not violate it!”

So far, there has been no official confirmation from either Iran or Israel regarding the agreement Trump announced earlier, which aims to bring an end to the deadly conflict.

According to Trump, the ceasefire would take place in stages over a 24-hour period.

It was expected to begin at around 04:00 GMT on Tuesday.

The fighting has already left hundreds dead in Iran and more than two dozen people killed in Israel.

Read more: Iran says ‘no agreement’ on ceasefire as Tehran comes under Israeli attack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Blog Post

Pakistan

Pakistan turns 28,490 days old this Independence Day

When the flag rises on 14 August 2025, Pakistan will be 28,490 days old—a span equal to 683,760 hours since the moment it emerged as ...
Haider Ali

Haider Ali suspended by PCB after arrest in England

Pakistani batter Haider Ali investigation has entered a legal phase after Greater Manchester Police confirmed the 24-year-old was arrested on 3 August in connection with ...